Kindred Spirits


Arati Lane and I have a unique way of seeing the world. Not so coincidentally I can describe both of us with these traits; free spirited mothers, flexible, optimists who are non-fancy and no nonsense with room for play. We both have grown to know ourselves over the oh so many years of teaching Yoga~teaching is the best teacher. Add self awareness with the inner confidence of experience to back it up. She is my co-teacher for our Healing Touch Vinyasa Fall yoga teacher training at Trilogy Sanctuary in La Jolla California.

Recently we spent a few hours (during a stifling heat wave I might add) with our sons at our local and prestigious San Diego zoo. Jaden my five year old and I got there an hour and a half earlier than Arati and Sailor her fifteen year old. My energy was fading since we had previously rendezvous-ed with Tarzan on a dog walk and an early lunch with Jaden's 25 year old sister. 

Yet somehow with Arati's presence I immediately perked up. 

Arati has a vibrant zesty Aura about her that not only woke me up but stimulated me with a hefty spark of curiosity. She is a teacher's teacher to the core of her being. Her archive of wisdom exudes from her every pore. And today was no exception~for my eager brain was a willing conduit to all that she had to offer. 

As we meandered by the elephants in between drips of sweat off our bosoms~her light cotton dress clinging and my loose flowing blouse grasping for a stray breeze~she begins reminiscing about Elephants in India. 

With a sweet smile of a precious memory Arati Lane proceeds to tell me stories of tusks and blessings.

I will spare you the tusk part even though that too was of interest. The Blessing part is by far the most touching, literally. She begins to share how Elephants are revered in India and the deliberate tap of an Elephants trunk is an auspicious connect from the divine. But of course it would cost a Rupi. An exchange of resources, a sacred request for balance in this case an abundant supply of peanuts.

A flying coin for a jolt of Ganesh a Hindu god! 




God of wisdom, knowledge and new beginning

Elephants symbolize wisdom, loyalty, strength, fidelity and longevity.

I ask Arati if she has been blessed? And with an absolute glimmer in her eye, "of course" she says. 

Amazingly the blessings of an Elephant lasts. You walk a little lighter and giggle a bit more, saying "I have been blessed by an Elephant". The feeling lasts all day! She tells me. 

The Ceremony and rituals surrounding this auspicious tradition has continued for centuries. The Royal Elephant instilling a symbolic sense of power, wisdom and good fortune. 




If you have any interest in being certified in Healing Touch Vinyasa Yoga. Please join Arati Lane and I for 9 weekends only~Sept to Dec.



To find out more go to my webpage tahgroen.com. 



Comments

Popular Posts